Monday 16 April 2012

Shirred Pillowcase Dresses...


Here are my latest dresses for Kristy's sew-along to support Dress A Girl Around the World over at Hopeful Threads.

My inspiration for these dresses, came from Crafts For Lily, where I saw an adorable, gingham sundress with shirring. You all know how I love shirring. As soon as I saw Crafts For Lily's dress, I wanted to start sewing.

I've based the dresses on the measurements from Dress A Girl Around the World. All four dresses have shirring at the front, instead of elastic as in my previous dresses. The back is gathered with elastic in a casing. Again, I've made the binding.

The accents on the first two dresses are made from a purple polka dot. Instead of hemming these two dresses, I've used the polka dot binding.


The first dress has two shirred pockets. Originally, I was only going to have one pocket, but changed my mind. I think I should have placed the pockets a little further apart. It's a little hard to see, but I've sewn three rows of cross stitch across the front.


The next dress has an appliquéd butterfly and a row of ric rac.


I love the purple polka dot, but only had enough for two dresses. After rummaging through my stash, I found another purple fabric, which I think co-ordinates even better with the gingham. I've cut these two dresses shorter and added a ruffle to the bottom.


I decided to leave this dress without accents, other than two rows of ric rac.


And I've left my favourite till last...



... Pam

Edited to add: The template for the butterfly, came from Angel Lea Designs.


I've based my dresses on the measurements from Dress A Girl Around the World.
Also, read the Dress making guidelines from Dress A Girl Around the World.

34 comments:

  1. Pam, you are cranking these out! You are so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - great job. Now I will go out into blogland to look up "shirring." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these dresses are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! These are going to make some little girls very happy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so pretty...there new owners will look beautiful in them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow Pam, I love all the accents you have added, the shirring, applique, ruffles and cross stitch! What an amazing job you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So adorable, I must learn how to shirrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great efforts Pam, they are all so beautiful! I just love the little crosses, such detail, amazing!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow they are gorgeous. The girls who get these dresses will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, you really did a good job! I do believe these are the prettiest pillowcase dresses that I have seen yet. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brillaint job! Any little girl would be pleased to recieve such pretty creations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS Pam!!! Love the purple!



    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man, these are just too cute! Perfect for summer and little girls! I had a Peter Pan costume made from a pillow case when I was little. But it was essentially a green pillowcase with holes cut for my arms and head and a spikey looking bottom... looking at these its kind of shameful! =D I would love if you were able to stop at my first session of Sweet Sharing Mondays (new weekly party- with features!) and link up! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful little dresses!! Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are gorgeous, Pam. I think my favourite is your second one, with a butterfly and no ruffles. I am sure the little girls who receive them will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like them all.they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are all so cute. I especially like the last one with the bright purple butterfly and ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love them! I make pillowcase dresses too :) I followed you from Homemade by You. Here is my offering this week: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/keep-calm-and-craft-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. these are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the purple and the butterflies. Super cute! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw!!! I saw these pretty dresses on the Hopeful Threads flickr group and came over to comment. Imagine my surprise when I read that you were inspired by my shirred gingham dress! I adore what you did with these dresses!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy crow look at you go!! All of the pillow case dresses are so cute, but I think these are my favorite. I love all the detail on them. Thanks for sharing and partying with us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE the purple, the butterfly, and the ruffle!! I think I sai this last week, but these really are my favorite pillow case dresses yet! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy! XO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments and try to reply to all of them via email. If you don't receive an email reply from me, check back here.