Thursday 8 March 2012

Rose t-shirt...


Yay!!! I've made something for me!!! It's the first item of clothing I have made for myself in many, many years.

I've been lucky enough to test the Rose T-shirt pattern for Melissa from Melly Sews. I believe the pattern will be ready for sale on Melissa's site and in her Etsy shop, later this month. The t-shirt can be made with short sleeves, 3/4 sleeves or without sleeves. You can see all three versions here.


I wanted to work with fabric I already had, mainly because it has been a LONG time since I've sewn with stretch fabric and because I would be using my normal sewing machine instead of an overlocker (serger). Out came an XL men's t-shirt from my now ever growing clothing to be refashioned stash.

I just had enough fabric!!! The back neck facing has a tiny bit of the asics lettering, but you can't see it, because I've turned the facing so the wrong side of the fabric is showing. Let's face it, the facing doesn't show, so no one (other than you and me), will know how I've done it. That same facing also has a seam which isn't in Melissa's pattern. That's because the only fabric left, already had a seam in it.

As you can see, I've also used another pre-loved t-shirt for the black on the bodice. I added the black, because I didn't have enough of the blue t-shirt and didn't realise until it was all cut out. I'm rather glad it worked out this way, because I really like the black contrast between the two blues.


The patterned blue fabric is woven, unlike the rest of the t-shirt which is stretch fabric. This gives you a chance to really make your t-shirt distinctive and one of a kind. That appeals to me!

The Rose T-shirt was very quick to make up. The instructions were clear and easy to follow, with lots of photos included. The front facing is sewn into the sleeve seam, which is a great way to make it lay flat and to help keep the facing in place.

I've deviated from the pattern, by topstitching the edges of the woven fabric. I didn't secure the front facing by stitching in the ditch, as I didn't like the chances of my stitching not being seen. Perhaps with practice, I will perfect stitching in the ditch. Instead, I hand stitched the facing to the seam allowance, as it was really only a cosmetic thing, as the topstitching and sleeve seams secured it. I also topstitched the back facing to the seam allowance.

As I was using a pre-loved t-shirt, I decided to use the original hems for the bottom of my t-shirt and the sleeves. This is definitely NOT what the pattern says or how to correctly make a t-shirt. The hems really should be done last. However, I was thrilled that I managed to line the hems up perfectly, but, of course, if you look closely, you can see the seams.


I will most definitely be using this pattern again! It's so quick and easy to sew, even on a regular sewing machine. Another benefit is that there is no ribbing required, therefore making it inexpensive to make, even if you are buying the stretch fabric. There's bound to be co-ordinating woven fabric already in your stash.

Melissa gives comprehensive instructions re printing, even going so far as to give specific instructions for  different printers and computers. As with all PDFs, the pattern is printed on multiple pages and requires cutting and taping the pieces together. All pieces are labelled clearly!!! Taping this pattern together is a breeze!

You'll definitely see more Rose t-shirts from me. Maybe next time I'll even take a photo of me in the t-shirt...

... Pam

Edited to add: You can now purchase the Rose t-shirt pattern over at Melly Sews.

27 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made a real good job of this, very clever.

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would definitely like to see this shirt (or the next one) modelled! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo! ...on making something for yourself! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Pam, can't wait to see a picture of you wearing it! ;)
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I made a long sleeve version and I so wish I'd top stitched the woven fabric like you, it adds a little something extra....next time :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is great! You should make more for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out so great! Love that you have sewn for yourself too....I always seem to be at the end of my sewing list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like that! it looks roomy and soft!I liked all the different sleeve options.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out so nicely! What a great job.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful T-shirt Pam - and yet another great refashion!! My box of clothes to be upcycled is getting large again - I'm going to have to start work on that again!! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very cute, although I don't get why it is called a rose t-shirt. I love upcycling stuff, like this:

    http://cookcraftcrocheting.blogspot.com/2012/02/xxl-dress-into-s-cute-shirt.html

    I would love for you to follow my blog too so that we can share ideas!

    Your newest follower,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linked to you here: Short Sleeve Rose T
    Also, pattern is available for purchase here so you can change your links
    Rose T Pattern

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Pam, what a transformation! Super impressed you made this from an old t-shirt! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, your shirt looks great! you did such a great job with so limited supplies! well done!!! looks like a lovely pattern. oh, and happy wearing your first top, i'm sure there will be many more :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree that the black fabric in between really sets off the blue of the other two. Very nice job. (I can't see the seams,...just sayin' lol).

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a neat idea :) glad to see that you made something for yourself :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! I have such a hard time with knits - but this shirt turned out wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this shirt! Anything refashion goes on my list.
    Would love to have you come link up at Sunday Round Up.... 3 blogs = 1 party.
    xx,
    Heather
    http://www.heatherlyloves.com/2012/03/sunday-round-up-1_8663.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant refashion of a T pam! I never thought to use a pattern for a refashion and that is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love it! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is indeed VERY clever. Nice job!! Who would've thought...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice upcycle -very cute! Consider, if you will, sharing with my readers over at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/03/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-17.html

    Hugs,

    Sass

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic ! after years of changing clothes , never saw such a beautiful change in a T shirt ,,,
    mirjam

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the neckline! Thanks for sharing your refashion at my T-shirt recycling link party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments and try to reply to all of them via email. If you don't receive an email reply from me, check back here.