Sunday 4 March 2012

Dress Refashion...


Here's my latest refashion. I began with a woman's Summer dress and shirt...


I flipped the dress around, so the back became the front and the front became the back.


Originally the back, now the front...
First up was to alter the back of the dress which is now the front:
  • Add two pleats to take about 4" off the width at the front.
  • Leave the top of the pleats unstitched so the straps can be added.


Originally the front, now the back...
Second up was to alter the front, which is now the back:
  • Add four pleats to the band to reduce the width. As a woman's dress, the band sat under the bust. On a child, the band becomes a waistband. The existing tie was left as it was.
  • Take off the old straps.
  • Cut the top to make it slightly higher than the back.
  • Make a casing and insert elastic.


Next up was to shorten the fully lined dress and make new straps:
  • Cut the dress to the required length and hem both the dress and the lining.
  • Use the cut off lining to form the straps.
  • Feed elastic through the straps.
  • Sew the front strap inside the pleat to hide it.
  • Sew the strap to the back.

Easy as!!! A woman's dress turned into a little girl's dress.



You can see that some of the photos have been taken under different lighting conditions. The photos immediately above and below are the closest to the actual colour.



With the left over fabric from the hem, I made a little drawstring bag. The top row of ric rac hides a seam, as all I had was one long strip of fabric. The lining of the bag is made with the shirt. The ties for the bag came from my stash, but I have no idea what piece of clothing they originally came from.


What better way to finish off the outfit, than a fabric flower hair tie. Once again I've used this fabulous tutorial for a flower headband, written by Cass, over at Cass Can Sew.



There you have it, a really quick and easy refashion...

... Pam

Don't forget to check out our ongoing themed link parties at  Threading YOUR Way with Threading My Way.

Edited to add: This dress has been outgrown and has now been refashioned into a skirt.

Pin It

45 comments:

  1. How fabulous! Gorgeous colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really sweet refashioning Pam, I especially love the tie at the back, it really pretties it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just started following you and my house work is suffering!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant as always. I love the actual colour quite a bit. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wnat a great job (as always)! And I especially love the way you repurposed your scraps into the cute hair bow and little purse - very clever!
    Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker
    http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS refashion Pam! I love the little matching drawstring bag!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really cute~and I LOVE all the matching accessories! Myself and another blogger are actually hosting a Blog Hop that is starting tomorrow...you should definetly link up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good indeed, I love refashion!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again I'm so impressed. The dress looks amazing and I love the bag and hair tie.
    I really need to try some refashioning projects of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colour and the style of the dress. Great idea to secure the straps between the pleats. Awesome job Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another adorable dress!! great job, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty set! You are a refashion genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that's so cute and way to up cycle your clothing! I would love for you to share this at my link party!
    http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/03/share-it-link-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unbelievable! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so adorable. Thank you for linking up to our party. I LOVE that dress, it is so cute and PERFECT for summer! Awesome job!
    ~Jenn
    housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the upcycle. Gorgeous dress. Come link it up at our link party tomorrow: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow so very sweet...great use of the two pieces to make a lovely new outfit for someone special. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! The dress turned out beautiful. I love the accessories. Thanks so much for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are just a marvel!

    Thanks so much for sharing at our Pin'inspiration Party this week. Hope that you pop by tomorrow to help get ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute- adore the matching accessories! Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday! www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is adorable! I love the color and the pattern. Cute hair tie too! Thanks for linking up to the Stache Party! I am featuring this today!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is adorable! I'm so glad to find you great blog. I'm a new follower. IF you find the time stop by my blog and follow me too if you like. http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Thanks Rose

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the fabric you used!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Pam it is adorable! I need to make my girls more dresses! I need to go raid my closet and find an old shirt!:) Thanks so much for sharing with us this week.:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Pam!! I am featuring you tomorrow at our party. I just love this little dress! Stop by and grab a button. Thanks again for partying with us!:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, amazing job! thank so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Soooo cute! You did a great job! Thanks so much for sharing at Shine on Fridays last week; can't wait to see what you have to share tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE this refasion! And I am loving that little purse...it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks amazing!! I never would have thought it was a refashion without the before pics! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is FABULOUS!!! What a ''refashion'!!

    I sure hope you'll share this over at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/03/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. You were featured at The Little Giggler today! :) http://www.thelittlegiggler.com/2012/03/love-it-and-link-it-up-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. I’m having some difficulty with adding pleats. What’s the trick behind? Looks like it’s so easy for you to add pleats on the dress, (sigh) I’m wondering how you did it!
    -Samatha@Sweet Women's Camel Inset Waist Skirt Suit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a pleat, you are folding the fabric back on itself. Here's a link that may make it easier to see how it's done...
      http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2008/05/learn-how-to-make-a-pleat/
      Good luck!!!

      Delete
  33. Another awesome recycle! Love how it all came together. Thanks for linking up to the Motivated Monthly party at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  34. This redo is simply darling Pam! I loved it so much that I featured it on http://cabinfeveredgem.blogspot.ca/. This month`s party just opened so please join us again! Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so beautiful, the little pouch is simply too cute!
    Cheers, Elna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments and try to reply to all of them via email. If you don't receive an email reply from me, check back here.