Thursday 20 October 2011

Huckaback Embroidery...

My Spring cleaning seems to have come to a stop. Yes, I know, one day and cleaning out two cupboards hardly counts, but oh, that was so tiring... I have other more important things to do. Yesterday it was sewing and then gardening. Today, so far it's been sewing and later on I'll go for a stroll around the garden and maybe pull up a few weeds.

Hopefully I won't find a red-bellied black snake, like Mr TMW did the other day. It's the time of year we call snake weather. It occurs in Spring when the weather starts to warm up and again in Autumn. The red-bellied black snakes are more scared of us, than we are of them. However, I still find them scary. It's time to do some Spring cleaning in the garden and keep the plants off the paths and clear up any old things left lying around.

During my mammoth clean up inside, I found some huckaback embroidery that I did at school, many moons ago. I had wrapped the material around a glass plate to protect it.


Now, I use the term Huckaback Embroidery rather loosely. There's no background or pictures in my embroidery. But, hey, I was only about nine years of age at the time and it is embroidery stitches on huckaback material.



We were fortunate to have had sewing lessons at Primary School. The boys did weaving with cane, while the girls did sewing. Now-a-days, neither of these are in the school curriculum over here. I would have liked to have tried cane weaving, too.



I'd like to find some of the other sewing I did whilst at school. My needle case is at Mum's. I use hers and she uses mine. I have no idea where the rest are. I suppose if I attempt some more indoors Spring cleaning I might come across them. 



I'm not sure what to do with this sample now. I've washed and ironed it, but where to put it. It seems a waste to put it back into a cupboard, where it won't be seen, possibly until another Spring clean. At one point, I think I used it to put under vases to protect the table. That just means I'd have to wash it often and anyway, it's the wrong shape. I would like to use it or even to upcycle it, but nothing springs to mind at the moment. Let me know if you have any ideas.



I'd like to try my hand at embroidery again. I do remember enjoying it and finding it quite relaxing. Anything that causes me to relax is good. 

4 comments:

  1. A little cushion cover? Ugh, snakes! Its mainly tiger snakes down here. Uh, the perils of living in Australia! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek! Snakes! This time last year we had a red bellied black slither through our yard... thankfully I didn't see it! Our neighbour alerted us to it! A few weeks ago I spotted 2 green snakes sunning themselves on the brick wall of our neighbours house (I wish I had've taken a pic). So now my Laundry door (which is downstairs) stays closed at all times! It's a mess down there and I'd hate to step on a snake hiding under a towel or something!!! :-S

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cut enough to frame! How adorable... We made pillows in Middle School Economics. I don't even know if they still have home ed anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd make a throw pillow out of it, so adorable! I have way too many throw pillows. :) I'm not for snakes either, its scorpions and black widow spiders here in the desert where I live. Everyone always says "they're more afraid of you. . ." mmm-hmm. Trust me, I'm more afraid of them!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments and try to reply to all of them via email. If you don't receive an email reply from me, check back here.